Sunday, 2 March 2014

Makeda3 spotlight

Hi trusty old readers, A. again for a quick battlereport/tactica/Makeda3 introduction :)





It has been a very long time since my last post, but having a little time on my hands, I decided to take up the metaphorical pen and write a little thing about my current favourite Warlock: Makeda and the Exalted Court (Makeda3 for the friends, iMakeda for the Apple-fans).


My last battle report was with the Master Tormentor, but since then, I moved on. pMorghoul is a fun warlock for sure, but I felt he lacked something. I started digging in the available warlocks (for me, that is) and after playing a few games with pHexy and GuitarheroHexy, I settled on Makeda3. Gorgeous model, awesome fluff and a solid selection of Spells, Abilities and Weapon(s), all the while having a feat that will help you in any situation (more on that later). And if that's not enough, she comes with two female bodyguards.

A quick introduction:


Makeda her stats are fine as always, very similar to her Prime and Epic versions, but she got an additional (and welcome) point of MAT, seeing that she has no other way to 'boost' it (except with boosts of course). Her defence is quite high, and it can skyrocket with a gobber cloud and a Krea, which you bring anyway. Her ARM is the same as her epic version, but her Majesty the Supreme Archdomina has a way to push it up a little bit higher. Her SPD is normal for Warlocks her size/age/physical potential/way of suiting up. Her Weapon (The talon of Murzoul) is an impressive piece of gear. It has Reach, is Magical and just looks like it can and will kick ***. Even better, she has a boost to her STR, making her a true paragon of Destruction. She also has Blood Boon on her Weapon, making her cast one of her Spells (they are all eligible) for free, immediatly after killing a living model. Note that Blood boon can also be used to cast an Animus.

You noticed I spoke about a way to boost her STR and ARM. This is caused by her Battle-Driven. When she or one of her bodyguards get damaged, they gain +2 STR, +2 ARM and Pathfinder. It's the same ability the Warders have. She also has inspiration, making your Paingiver Beasthandlers even less likely to run away (her other choices of Troops are, for the most part, Fearless anyway). Still a nice ability, try to remember it!

And let's not forget her Bodyguards, or the Exalted Court as they are better known. They have the same SPD as Makeda (such high SPD, it's unprecedented for a Skorne construct). They are Constructs, have Battle-Driven and sport two middling P+S weapons. They also have Shield Guard, making it easier to trigger Battle-Driven.

Then we have her Spells. She has four: one will be cast every game, the other two are useful and have potential in certain situations, and the last one is dead space on the card unfortunately. It's up to you guess which of spells fall in which category ;)


Her first spell is Vortex of Destruction. Damage rolls against enemy models in her melee range are automatically boosted. This makes her an effective P+S 17 Weapon Master under Battle-Driven. Even better, continuous fire damage rolls, ranged damage rolls and even Ground Zero damage rolls are all boosted! It's really one of those spells with a very fitting name.

Her second spell is Ground Zero. You place a 5" AoE centered on Mak3da and all models in it (except for Makeda herself of course) suffer a moderately strong damage roll. Damaged models are then pushed (This has won me a game).
Then we have Eliminator. Kill something, move 2". Marketh can use it to place Makeda in a better position. With the feat, this awesome because for every model you kill with this spell, you gain a Fury, and then you move! Woop woop!
And at last we have Sunhammer. It might be usefull against a Shredder spam list? Should test that. It's cornercase and because it's an Upkeep: Self, it stands in the way of Vortex of Destruction. It does however trigger Finisher (on Slaugherhousers) and armies that rely on movement abilities (say, Sprint, Admonition, Refuge), the damage can be quite significant! 

Her Feat Looks simple and non-intimidating. If a member of her battlegroup kills a model in her control area, Makeda either gains 1 Fury point, or one Warbeast in her control area loses a Fury point on it. Examples of uses are legio in this article. 


So, now you have a better knowledge of what's on Makeda her card. Let's move on to the more interesting part of this Spotlight: lists and Battle reports!



The list I used and changes I am going to make


So the list I built was geared towards optimizing Makeda her feat. 

Makeda and the Exalted Court (*2pts)
* Basilisk Krea (4pts)
* Bronzeback Titan (10pts)
* Molik Karn (11pts)
* Titan Gladiator (8pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Agonizer (2pts)
Mortitheurge Willbreaker (2pts)
Paingiver Task Master (2pts)
Saxon Orrik (2pts)


On feat turn, Molik Karn gets Beat Back from the Bronzeback and simply wrecks infantry. I do have my thoughts about this list though.

  • Bronzeback can be switched out for more infantry. Train Wreck sure is nice, but an additional screening unit or some ranged support might be more useful and less 'gimmicky'.
  • Marketh is a consideration. Upkeeping VoD (Vortex of Destruction) for free gives you that additional Fury to buy an attack with, and casting eliminators can help positioning Makeda. Note that he is not a part of the battlegroup.
  • The Agonizer and the Krea are both situational pieces. I have the Drake and Orin Midwinter nearby.
  • Because Makeda does not support anything really well, she needs self-sufficient infantry. Slaughterhousers, Posse, Incindiarii and Nihilators come to mind. Tyrant Commander, Saxon and Task Master are valuable infantry support pieces as well.
  • Slaughterhousers can deal with tough, but they are expensive.
  • The raider, Cannoneer and the Mammoth can give the list ranged support. An idea by Lord Tyrant Watt was to build a ranged list and use Makeda to kill their heavies. 
  • That same Tyrant also pondered on using the Savage with her, for Prescience. 
  • I still feel Molik Karn is an auto-include in this list. Side-Step with her Feat is just so much in-built synergy..
So my next iteration for the Makeda3 list will be:

Makeda and the Exalted Court (*2pts)
* Basilisk Krea (4pts)
* Molik Karn (11pts)
* Titan Gladiator (8pts)
Cataphract Incindiarii (Leader and 5 Grunts) (9pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer (3pts)
Agonizer (2pts)
Mortitheurge Willbreaker (2pts)
Paingiver Task Master (2pts)


I was thinking about putting Incindiarii in my list but I wasn't really sure. Then someone on the PP forums posted his list and that's the one posted here. I really like the looks of it! 
I thought a while about using Nihilators instead of Incindiarii, but the ranged element proved after some games to be very useful.

I have also tried using Tiberion instead of Molik Karn, but I wasn't impressed. Sure, he's a big piece of meat, but I really missed Fate Walker.



Some quick and dirty Battle Reports

Now I am going to write down the few notes I took when fighting with Makeda3. Note that some Battles were fought a few months back, so I won't go into detail with some. 

Game 1: pGrissel

So my first game was against Trolls. It's a long time ago now but I learned that Tough is a ***** and an infantry swarm with Tough is even worse. 
In this game I took the first list, with the Bronzeback. Due to Tough, my feat turn was nothing spectacular unfortunatly. It was a real slugfest and I really needed more infantry. 


Game 2: eVayl

My first win with Makeda3. It was against a beast-heavy list. The scenario was the one with the zone in the middle.
First note: it's incredible how much carnage my Bronzeback made during the Feat turn with Beat Back. It killed an Angelius, the pot, a lot of those pot-guys and a lot of legionnaires, and then he controlled the zone. I then slammed his warbeasts out of the zone with my Gladiator and kept Molik ready in case Vayl came too close. I dominated. His turn he then killed the Gladiator and the Bronzeback :( Nothing was forlorn though, I killed a controlling Angelius with Molik, destroyed the enemy objective with a Posse and then Pushed his Carny and Shepherd out of the zone with Ground Zero! I won that game - he had not much left.

Conclusion: Ground Zero is awesome in the right situation!

Game 3: Ossyan

Another win, but not really deserved. During my feat turn, I decided to assassinate Ossyan with Molik, which failed.. Instead of going for the kill, I should have out-attritioned him and killed the SFA instead of side-Stepping into Ossyan. During his turn, he could knock down Makeda, but failed to kill her, even with feat (Krea Animus, Battle Driven, Shield Guards and Transfers mean she is hard to kill from range). 

Conclusion: Makeda

Game 4: eCaine



This is a very recent game, so I'll try to make a more enjoyable Battle Report for this one.
I used the second list, but with Tiberion instead of Molik Karn.
He took:
Captain Allister Caine (*5pts)
* Stormclad (10pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team (4pts)
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
Stormblade Infantry (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
* Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard (3pts)
* 2 Stormblade Infantry Storm Gunner (2pts)
Sword Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Captain Arlan Strangewayes (2pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)
* Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)
he also had Alexia and Friends Somewhere, not sure if I remember incorrectly or if he's a cheater, but I'll give him the advantage of the Doubt :P

I get first turn, scenario is Incursion.
I deploy my Battlegroup centrally, my Posse to my left, my Incindiarii to my right and behind them I placed my Tycomm.
He deployed everything centrally, except B13 (my left) and Ol'Rowdy and Junior (my right).

First round: I ran everything up, put 4 focus on my Agonizer.
He ran everything up, placed Heightened Reflexes on Boomhowler&Co and True Sight or something on himself.
Flag on the Posse-side goes away.

Second round: I drop some templates with my Incindiarii on Boomies. I will tell you this: I failed to kill a single Boomie in the entire game. So that was my shooting. I ran my Posse more to the middle.
His turn, he began his onslaught, rolling 13 damage in one hit with one of his Boomies against my Krea and killing 3 of my Posse. He then threw a Black Oil at Tiberion, which I Shield-Guarded (blinding my Agonizer, but that's better than a blinded Tibbers amirite?). Most important event: he had no FOCUS left on Caine.

Third round: Due to my inexperience I perceive an infantry swarm as an immediate loss. It was only later on that I realised that his Sword Knights could not harm the All Mighty Tiberion. But that's something I now know for future games. Instead of going for the Attrition, I decided to go for the ASSASSINATION! Caine was at the other side of the board. I felt like nothing could stop me I upkept Vortex of Destruction. I put Press Forward on Makeda, walked her 8" toward Gorman (I forgot to walk with my other Exalted, which could have netted me another two fury and/or an additional 2 STR), then I hit him, killed him, and Blood Booned an eliminator onto a clump of infantry who were also blocking the way (very convenient). I killed four, boosting every single damage roll so I really get the kills, and then I move 8" into Caine's face. The game was over for Cygnar.

Aftermath 


Because I wrote some Battle Reports, I guess I can learn something out of those!
lesson #5: If you have just one unit, don't use it to put it on your flanks. Instead, use it to cover up the advance of your Battlegroup
Lesson #6: Never ever forget Ground Zero!
Lesson #7: Speaking intimidatingly on your opponents turn can be helpful (but don't be rude!) but don't say things that spoil your own plan (like say: "Now where will we put Puppet Master the next turn?)
Lesson #8: Unlike pMorghoul, Makeda is very survivable!

Conclusion

I really like Makeda3. She is very agressive and her feat has a lot of Synergy with her other abilities (except with Ground Zero ofcourse). 

So, that's all for this write-up! Next I am going to write some articles about my Faction ADD (this is a personal blog after all!), pHexeris and I will also try to write a sequel to this article.

Greetings

The_A.

No comments:

Post a Comment