Wednesday, 19 June 2013

How to systematically own the Skorne

Hi all, my third post in two days (feeling productive), and I am going to adress how I plan to acquire the faction. Right now, I don't own anything yet, so getting stuff might be helpful to ascertain the continuation of my blog.

This post will be a mix of my own thoughts, forum wisdom, and other people's thoughts.

When reading this article, you will notice I will suppose that you know the rules of the models - later on I might write some tactical articles explaining in detail how certain models-units-warlocks work, but for now, if you want to know additional ruling, I advise visiting Battlecollege.wikispaces.com

1) What do I own yet


I must be honest with you, I lied.. I already have the Skorne faction book :) Great book, though a little light on fluff in my opinion.

Anyway, the book gives me, together with Domination and Gargantuans, a full overview of the Skorne models. I do not think it is essential, because we have acces to wonderful sites as Battlecollege for a quick overview of what models are capable of, to Forward Kommander, which helps us with army construction.

The book is however a necessity for playing with Tier Forces - And Skorne apparantly has a few good ones.


Unfortunately, I don't own the deck. I'm also not really into buying it, as I feel it's a waste of money - but each to its own, I've heard from a lot of people the deck is recommended. But I already have the Circle Orboros Faction Deck and it are just a lot of cards that I will own twice when I have the model. 
Note that I'm a collector rather than a rational consumer, so I will buy a model before I playtest it.

2) The Next step - June list

So, indeed I do not own any model - at all. Yet. Until Saturday that is! 
My buy list goes as follows:

  1. (The Skorne Battlebox (it's not in stock at my LGS, so I have to wait for this one, but still, a really good choice and if you would start Skorne, take this! You get 2 Savages almost for free!))
  2. Paingivers: Those are ordered, and it are these I'm going to buy Saturday (can't wait really). In my first two games, I really missed something that could add 2 STR and give free charges.
  3. Agonizer: the perfect 2-point filler. Not really sure yet how I am going to fill it with Morghoul, but I'll figure it out! If it works, My opponent won't be able to hand out focus to his jacks :D and if he's playing Hordes, my Warbeasts just got some additional ARM (because his Warbeasts lose STR).
  4. This is personal, but for 15 points I feel two savages is a little too much. Instead, I'd opt for a Cyclops Brute. The animus (prevents knockdown) and Shieldguard are in my opinion worth it better than the added agression of an additional Savage. Also, I have a feeling I will be using this one, a lot.
3) Beyond 15 points - going up to 35!

So, after I have everything summed up above, I will obviously buy models to be able to play bigger battles (muhahaha :D). 
  1. First on the list is the Titan Bronzeback. Not only will this model get me to 25 points, it is also considered a crutch in the Skorne Faction.
  2. Nihilators: 8 point infantry and they look bad-*ss. Will help me to go to 35 points.
  3. Additional Solos: the Willbreaker, the Void Spirit, Aptimus Marketh and a Feralgeist. The idea is that I can quickly make a change in my list and play a slightly different game. For instance, switching the Agonizer for a Willbreaker will cause me to lose my control I was able to exert, but in addition I can force my warbeasts further up the field ( 10 inch control area really is small - In my previous post, it got me killed) in addition to adding a reroll. Pure win. 
  4. Some additional Light Warbeasts. For the same reason as lined out above - being able to switch between games without having to buy large expensive models or whole units whilst still being able to alter your gameplay, is a real boon in my eyes. I'm thinking about the Razorwurm and the Cyclops Shaman.
  5. Some Warlocks, because playing Morghoul all day might stop being fun. I'm thinking about Naaresh and pHexeris - the former because he is good with beasts, and the latter because he is the guy that got me into Skorne!
So, when I have reached this point, I think it will be August. I will try not to buy something new before I have painted everything (not going to happen I fear).

Buys beyond that are relatively uncertain, depends on what I like at that moment. I think Praetorian Swordsmen with their Unit Attachment will be great, and so will Cataphract Cetrati be. Obviously Molik Karn will be buyed as well, but I want to practice the faction without him (silly me). An extra heavy kit wouldn't be misplaced either, and additional Warlocks is not a bad idea at all! 

Thanks for reading this, and I will post how this worked out for me. Eventually, I will write a post with some actual advice in it on starting the faction, but that is only after I have some experience!

See you later

the Archdominar

Edit: well, it turned out quite differently. 

  • I only got the Bronzeback recently, because he was everywhere out of stock.
  • I still don't have Naaresh, the Razorwurm and the Shaman.
  • In September, I got my hands on a huge Skorne deal. Then I found lists with eHexeris and Rasheth, and I wanted those (eHex was in fact my second Warlock after Morghoul). The deal netted me a lot of solo's, slingers, a sentry, a lot of lights, Molik Karn, Immortals, and some Warlocks. Then I bought Posse, Incindiarii and Nihilators. In hindsight, I don't think the deal was bad per se (in fact, the deal was awesome) but because I got so much in so little time, I now have a huge unpainted collection! 
  • Next Warlock is Naaresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment